Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz

This post is for Flo.
...who doesn't even read my blog. :( Look, you made your sister frown.
Anyhoo, this is going to be a fairly short post, as F's interests are VERY rarified and recondite, but I am so proud that I found the image below (thanks to I Love Typography) that I HAD to do this post. My Dad WAS next in line, but since he's hunting exotic and rare birds (F is kind of a rare bird himself) in the tropics, I will hold off till he is back.


HAHAHA!

Typography fans should definitely check out I Love Typography. There's articles explaining all the terminology, tips for website typography, articles on how to create a typeface and fun examples of typefaces via Veer such as this one that I first noticed on Design*Sponge: Feel Script designed by Alejandro Paul.


Some interesting blogs to check out:
Villatype, a "record of type and lettering in the public domain" and Typotrip, "typography on the road." Some photos they've featured:



This may be more for D, but this is also a fun one: Safari typographique - see photos below:



Don't worry - while the page is in French, google will kindly translate for you.

Since F first really shared his typographic propensities with me in Italia, I felt it was necessary to include some moody Venezia photos reminiscent of our own rainy stay there (via Flikr):





One last typography site you shouldn't miss, which I found thanks to one of my favorite blogs, Neon Polish: Misprinted Type. Eduardo Recife's (graphic/type designer based in Brazil) personal portfolio. Beautiful work:




And best of all, free fonts! Thank you, Eduardo!

Below: "Dirty Ego."

"Diesel."

My fav: "Selfish."


Enjoy the type-o-rama!


In case you are wondering, the title of this post is a pangram, or a sentence which contains all the letters of the alphabet. There is a fun little novel inspired by this concept called Ella Minnow Pea. A fun and quick summer read, especially for wordophiles. As it takes place on a fictional island, and speaking of fun books, it reminded me of:


Puzzle Island by Paul Adshead. This was Fs and mine favorite book when we were little. The illustrations are gorgeous and it is SO much fun. I think about this book to this day. (Parents, buy this for your elementary-school-aged children!!! I HIGHLY recommend! Heck, buy it for yourselves.) In fact, upon visiting Paul Adshead's website, I noticed he had more books in his puzzle series. I may just have to get this one:



Some other pangrams include (using the fonts "diesel" and "selfish" respectively):



(Flikr credits: Venice rain - Steps - Man - Night - Red lights - Masks
Type sample via Veer.com)

No comments: