Monday, May 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Tata!





It's my dads birthday (and namesday) today, so I made him a little montage of bird photos I found on Flikr. Right now he's in Costa Rica taking loads of really impressive photos of really amazing birds, so this is peanuts compared to the veritable cornucopia of avian specimens roiling about in the tropics, but will have to do. Kocham, Tata!

Some fun spring jewelry:


Glass coral ring, octopus tentacle ring, white gold pendant, glass heart pendant, "Grey's Anatomica." All from Nanopod.


Cute clusters of charms. My favorite is the bird in the pagoda. And that shirt she's wearing isn't too bad, either. ;) From PS I Heart You.


Similar stuff from Chain Chain Chained. As we all know, I'm a big fan of asymmetry and birds. And cicadas.


This company, Figs and Ginger, gets major props because they are super-sustainable. They use only recycled or reclaimed metal for their jewelry (WOW), bio-degradable flux (the stuff you smear on the metal to keep it clean as you solder) and citric acid pickle (this stuff can be really toxic. You dump your jewelry in a bath of this to clean the metal off. Citric acid takes longer, but the fumes aren't toxic.)

So job searching has been a fun adventure in many ways. I really liked reworking my portfolio and redesigning my resume. And every step I take, embarking on this new career path, affirms that it is the right decision. For those perplexed by my switch from architecture, Coco Chanel says, "Fashion is architecture; it is a matter of proportions." And other things too, but that sums it up nicely. :)


I've also met a host of really interesting people and seen glimpses into fun little niches of the fashion world. Diana Slavin is one of those people and one of those niches. Her shop (above) is hidden away in a tiny alleyway near Union Square in San Francisco. She kindly invited me in for a few hours this Saturday and I got to try on some of her creations: see below (the photos totally don't do justice to how elegant the clothes and luxurious the fabrics really are.)


Diana designs two collections a year and has three local (I was very excited to hear this!) seamstresses who create her garments. She shops for all her gorgeous fabrics in Europe. Her clothing has this quality where it looks very simple on the hanger but absolutely comes alive when you put it on. Unique and creative details really define each piece.


She also sells AMAZING vintage sunglasses, and beautiful Italian shoes.


Her clothes call to mind the essence of Audrey Hepburn.


Audrey photos from this fun site called AdoreVintage.com.

And since we can't seem to stay away from fashion on this blog, some darling coats from Aquascutum.





Happy Monday, Everyone!

(Flikr credits: Green - Flock - Lovebirds - Robin)

1 comment:

MadSilence said...

Wow! So many beautiful images. I particularly like Chain's cicada. Insect motifs have always been popular in the decorative arts. The Aztecs used butterflies as a motif in their jewelry. 19th century Victorians were fascinated with novelties--jeweled insects were often worn by fashionable ladies. The iridescent carapaces of beetles were incorporated into clothing accessories. In the 1920s and 30s, butterflies became popular appliqué designs for quilts.

I also like Figs & Ginger and their use of recycled materials.

Nice kingfisher.

MadSilence