Thursday, October 9, 2008

What a day

Here's what I learned in class:
about 75% of Paris's revenue comes from fash.
40% for NY.
25 % for LA.
Back to school today.

Now. Something that is really annoying me and I just have to discuss it with you. I don't know what resource you use for your fashion week but I use style.com and I cross check it with British Vogue.

Not once, now, but twice now I have read really irksome catwalk reviews on style.com and I am sharing them with you, so you can be irked too.

The concluding paragraph of the Rodarte review reads:

"Drama and intellectual content, along with an otherworldly loveliness, may always be the Rodarte thing, but more down-to-earth-wearable pieces would be welcome. "Beautiful androids" (as the models were referred to backstage) make for great editorial, but flesh-and-blood women like Natalie Portman, Sarah Sophie Flicker, and Dr. Lisa Airan, who all sat in the front row, need to be able to imagine themselves wearing the clothes out into the big, beautiful world."

And Rue du Mail:

"As a whole, though, the collection was rather overwhelming, and the eye sought relief. It came in the form of a quiet-by-comparison peplum jacket in black satin, and sexy cigarette pants—a look that's definitely more those front-row girls' speed."

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard these designers had grander plans in mind than designing for "flesh-and-blood" women like Natalie Portman. I'm sorry, but if her look is more conservative and mainstream, that's hardly the designer's fault, now is it?

They're there pushing the borders of fashion outward and upward. They're thinking about how to revolutionize the industry, how to use the newest technology, how to find beauty where no one has seen it before, how to shock and amaze. The fashion industry is finally being accepted as a serious form of design. I sincerely hope that the last thing on their mind is dumbing down their designs so some star can wear them without fear of...what? Actually showing individual style?

So I've been going to British Vogue for the reviews. And let me tell you: it's far more objective and descriptive and doesn't end with a comment that betrays the author's total lack of understanding.

Now let's see what Rue du Mail is all about. I personally, quite like the collection.









No comments: